08 Dec What Are the Phases of Post-Construction Cleaning
For any construction contractor, turning over the key of a newly created building or a renovated one is the ultimate goal for any client that they will be serving. However, after the construction per se, not forgetting to mention the tears and sweat that they have to deal with, the work of a construction company is not yet done until it’s over. For the construction to be completely over, there are more additional works to do before the final turn-over of the key. These additional works include full cleaning of the entire facility or what we call, post-construction cleaning.
Post-construction cleaning is a cleaning service done to new or renovated buildings.
From the word itself, “post-construction,” it is understood that this cleaning is done after the construction part. A construction contractor may do a general cleaning of debris, but detailed cleaning is not part of their job anymore. This kind of cleaning is done to the whole facility from top to bottom; it doesn’t just simply means sweeping of floor, cleaning of the carpet and other visible areas. Below are some of the cleaning requirements that need to be taken care of:
- Walls are clean and are free from marks, dirt, and smudges
- Power washing and cleaning of windows and frames
- Plastic/sticker removal from furniture, windows, and doors
- Dusting, wet and dry, of ceilings, lights, fans, heaters
- Floors, that are free from debris, especially on edges and corners, are clean and polished
- Vacuum cleaning
- Trim cleaning
- Threshold cleaning
- Cleaning of all appliances, cabinets, and shelves from inside and out
- Proper disposal of trash and debris
- Addressing of any safety issues, loose wires, and leaks, to the construction contractors
- Detailed checking, for the last time, of all the space, corners and inner surfaces once the cleaning is completely done
These cleaning requirements above are being done one step at a time through the three phases of post-construction cleaning.
Phase 1: Rough Clean
After all the necessary installation of electric works, plumbing, and framing, this is where the first phase takes place. Removal of large items is the first and foremost step in this phase; items such as debris, trash, leftover materials and other items that cannot be vacuumed. General sweeping or vacuuming will then follow. Removal, but not the cleaning, of stickers from doors and windows, are also included in this phase.
Phase 2: Light Clean
Out of the three phases in the post-construction cleaning, this phase is considered to have the most work and requires a lot of cleaning equipment and tools. Rooms like restrooms and kitchens, those that serve a unique purpose, are being paid attention to. Sinks, toilets, windows, cabinets are just some of the installed items that are being thoroughly cleaned on this phase. This phase is one of the reasons why clients hire a professional cleaning service.
With Progressive Cleaning, clients can make sure that the most effective and newest cleaning equipment and tools will be provided so that these areas and most inner surfaces such as air ducts will surely be taken care of. Further cleaning of the areas with removed stickers done on the first phase is also being dealt with here; areas such as windows, glass areas, doors, walls, and such. After this phase, it is one step closer to the moving-in of clients.
This kind of cleaning is done to the whole facility from top to bottom; it doesn’t just simply means sweeping of floor, cleaning of the carpet and other visible areas.
Phase 3: Final Clean
Final Cleaning or the Touch-Up Cleaning is the last phase. This happens several days after the second phase, for the reason that dust and dirt may still settle; with this, the cleaning crew will still have time to pay more attention to the final clearing of dust. More than usual, this phase takes only a short time because the usual things that are being cleared on this point are smudges, fingerprints and other imperfections from the areas that were cleaned on the earlier phases.
Post-construction cleaning needs full time and attention and may take a few days to be finished. For a construction contractor that has lots on their plate, this activity is not that easy to manage. Construction contractors are already focused on creating the building and the additional load of cleaning up their mess is such a burden. Therefore, hiring professional cleaners, whether it is through the construction contractor or finding your own is indeed advisable.
If the construction contractor doesn’t offer additional cleaning services, some clients may think to just skip the hiring of professional cleaners and just do this by DIY cleaning, but this must be decided wisely. Inner and hidden sections of the building that most people have no idea with can be overlooked if cleaning will just be done by the clients and not by professionals. This is too risky as it can pose a threat to the safety and health of the people who will occupy the building.
To further understand, here are some of the Importance of hiring professional cleaners:
- The safety of people who will occupy the space will be a priority. No need to worry about a nail being left on the garage, or dust that can be a caused of breathing problems.
- Professional cleaners have the right skills and equipment; therefore, they are expected to give professional results – no paint spatters and un-removed stickers and dust.
- The entire facility will be thoroughly cleaned and be move-in ready.
- With years of experience and having the appropriate training, professional cleaners will know the top spot that needs more attention.
- Nothing will be left behind; exterior space will be cleaned and be given attention as well.
- Cleaning will be done one at a time, following the three phases of post-construction cleaning.
In Progressive Cleaning, areas such as the restrooms, kitchen, office areas, conference rooms, stairwells/elevators, utility rooms, and storage areas are just some of the areas being focused on. Moreover, here are some of the cleaning specifications that Progressive Cleaning can do. Progressive Cleaning always makes sure that all the clients’ standards will be met when it comes to post-construction cleaning, and that nothing can beat what they can do.
~ By Gem Ciolo, Team Progressive Cleaning